My rating: 5 of 5 stars
One of the most exciting YA fiction books I’ve ever read!
– It’s packed with high-quality action scenes
– The whole idea of the labyrinth is executed brilliantly
– There is so much in this book for an adult reader to appreciate
– This left me so excited for the fifth and final book that I finished this one and started the fifth one on the same night, reading until I fell asleep (book in hand!).
– Percy isn’t as great as he could be in this book, we see him repeating his mistakes a lot and it feels like it’s done just to jump the plot along at times.
– This isn’t really a con but I’m clutching at straws here – as Riordan uses increasingly obscure creatures and references to mythology, it gets harder to decipher them and appreciate the work he’s putting into it. I’d love it if there was some sort of glossary or mythology accompaniment in the books!
Before delving into this book, clear your schedule in advance. After you get to the mid-point, it’s so gripping it’s almost impossible to put down and it is one of the best build-ups I’ve seen to a series finale. Aside from the plot itself being wholly absorbing, the characters are great too. Whereas many of the recurring characters have been quite two-dimensional up until this point in the series, they are given far more depth in this book which makes their previous dullness completely forgivable in the grand scheme of things. On that note, we also have some wonderful moments in this book that will no doubt make you reminisce about your own teenage years.
The humour in this is noticeably better than the previous books too, although some jokes are clearly more for a younger audience, there’s a lot in this instalment that adults can whole-heartedly enjoy as well. This works hand-in-hand with making the whole novel feel far more well-rounded than its predecessors (and indeed, many other YA fiction series) as it’s as though Riordan is paying attention to what older readers want without compromising any of his appeal to younger readers.
All in all, this is a great fantasy adventure book that I’d recommend to anyone looking for an entertaining read full of suspense.